Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I Wanna Meet Obama's Speech Writer

I don't know about where you are right now, but where I am, everyone is talking Inauguration.

No great surprise there. This is an historic moment, a huge moment. At the risk of sounding like I'm trivializing it, a lot is riding on this day.

I missed Obama being sworn in as President. I am at work, after all. Duty calls, you know, and besides, I have no doubt that, like the heroic rescue of the passengers and crew of the plane that crash-landed in the Hudson River last week, it will be rebroadcast countless times. But I did catch his inaugural address.

All I can say is that I came away speechless.

Words are failing me even now. (I know, I know. Some writer you are!) His address was beyond eloquent. The man exudes confidence and self-assurance, and that is manifested in the way he talks. He spoke of history. He spoke of peace. He spoke of conquering fear, of taking responsibility, of working together. He spoke of unity and tolerance. He touched on all the things we as Americans are right now losing sleep over, and his words somehow seemed to have a calming effect on the listener. A stupefying number of people stood in the bitter cold, listening, cheering, believing. I wonder if anyone could have found anything in his address to complain about. I didn't, not that I was looking. Obama's words offer hope to a nation that has seen little reason for hope in recent days. And he delivered those words in a manner that suggested that he wasn't just saying them.

I realize he's been president for all of about two hours now, and he's got a staggering job ahead of him. I don't envy him. But if even a little bit of the confidence and reassurance he displayed today can be translated into effective change in our economy, in health care, in foreign relations, in restoration of honor and dignity to the Office of President of the United States, in showing the world that the United States is a truly great nation, then in my book he will have more than earned the title.

Nothing will change overnight. I hope people realize that, but I'm afraid there are a lot of frustrated, impatient folks out there who might be expecting instant miracles. Not gonna happen. But I have faith in God and in America, and I'm hopeful that Obama will be the strong, decisive, and ethical leader we have longed for these past [you decide how many] years. I hope his words are more than a captivating speech. I pray God's blessing on this nation and its leaders. God bless America!

No comments: